Monday 8 February 2010

New projects

Over the last few weeks I've been playing around with a few ideas running through my head, and recently started going to Winter Hill with my old Hasselblad just to see if anything inspires me or provokes a project idea. I've been around Winter Hill and Rivington countless times over the years with my family and friends and then 2 years ago when my dad passed away, we scattered his ashes on the moors there.
When I was there last week I was thinking about the history of Winter Hill and how for thousands of years people have used the area to pay respect to the dead, for example there are 2 mounds of rocks which is reported to be a Saxon burial ground, also a memorial post to a George Henderson, who was murdered on the moors in 1838 and another memorial post in memory of the victims of a plane crash that happened in 1958. As I was wandering on the moors I came across even more recent "make shift" memorials comprising of stones laid out in the shapes of crosses, flowers laid down amongst rubble and tributes hand etched into boulders.
I'm still thinking of ideas for a project based around this love and respect for the great outdoors and how we deal with death in different ways, but in the meantime heres a couple of the images I took from a few trips ago to Winter Hill.......more to come

No comments:

Post a Comment